- People in Disasters Conference - Loss of Trust and other Earthquake Damage
A video of a presentation by Dr Duncan Webb, Partner at Lane Neave, during the third plenary of the 2016 People in Disasters Conference. The presentation is titled, "Loss of Trust and other Earthquake Damage".
The abstract for this presentation reads as follows:
It was predictable that the earthquakes which hit the Canterbury region in 2010 and 2011 caused trauma. However, it was assumed that recovery would be significantly assisted by governmental agencies and private insurers. The expectation was that these organisations would relieve the financial pressures and associated anxiety caused by damage to property. Some initiatives did exactly that. However, there are many instances where difficulties with insurance and related issues have exacerbated the adverse effects of the earthquakes on people's wellness. In some cases, stresses around property issues have become and independent source of extreme anxiety and have had significant impacts on the quality of people's lives. Underlying this problem is a breakdown in trust between citizen and state, and insurer and insured. This has led to a pervading concern that entitlements are being denied. While such concerns are sometimes well founded, an approach which is premised on mistrust is frequently highly conflicted, costly, and often leads to worse outcomes. Professor Webb will discuss the nature and causes of these difficulties including: the complexity of insurance and repair issues, the organisational ethos of the relevant agencies, the hopes of homeowners and the practical gap which commonly arises between homeowner expectation and agency response. Observations will be offered on how the adverse effects of these issues can be overcome in dealing with claimants, and how such matters can be managed in a way which promotes the wellness of individuals.
- Duncan Webb,
- 10:07pm 25th February 2016
- People in Disasters, conference, Dr Duncan Webb, Lane Neave, law, lawyer, recovery, insurance, response, plenary, Health and Wellbeing
- Engaging Quake Claimants and Community Networks - Address by Dr. Duncan Webb
- A video of an address by Dr. Duncan Webb, Partner of Lane Neave, at the 2015 Seismics and the City forum. This talk is about learning from complex claims and local knowledge.
- Duncan Webb
- 1:00pm 27th March 2015
- Lane Neave, claims, local knowledge, SmartNet, Seismics and the City, Duncan Webb