- People in Disasters Conference - Organisational Resilience is more than just Business Continuity
A video of a presentation by Associate Professor John Vargo during the fifth plenary of the 2016 People in Disasters Conference. Vargo is a senior researcher and co-leader of the Resilient Organisations Research Programme at the University of Canterbury. The presentation is titled, "Organisational Resilience is more than just Business Continuity".
The abstract for this presentation reads as follows:
Business Continuity Management is well-established process in many larger organisations and a key element in their emergency planning. Research carried out by resilient organisations follow the 2010 and 2011 Canterbury Earthquakes show that most small organisations did not have a business continuity plan (BCP), yet many of these organisations did survive the massive disruptions following the earthquakes. They were resilient to these catastrophic events, but in the absence of a BCP. This research also found that many of the organisations with BCP's, struggled to use them effectively when facing real events that did not align with the BCP. Although the BCPs did a good job of preparing organisations to deal with technology and operational disruptions, there was virtually no coverage for the continuity of people. Issues surrounding staff welfare and engagement were amongst the most crucial issues faced by Canterbury organisations, yet impacts of societal and personal disruption did not feature in BCPs. Resilience is a systematic way of looking at how an organization can survive a crisis and thrive in an uncertain world. Business continuity is an important aspect for surviving the crisis, but it is only part of the bigger picture addressed by organisational resilience. This presentation will show how organizational experiences in the Canterbury earthquakes support the need to move to a 'Business Continuity' for the '21st Century', one that incorporates more aspects of resilience, especially the 'people' areas of leadership, culture, staff welfare, and engagement.
- John Vargo,
- 9:40pm 26th February 2016
- People in Disasters, conference, Associate Professor John Vargo, emergency, planning, business, business continuity plan, organisation, plenary, Health and Wellbeing
- People in Disasters Conference - Panel Five
A video of the panel discussion during the fifth plenary of the 2016 People in Disasters Conference. The panel is made up of keynote speaker Professor Jonathan Davidson, and guests Associate Professor John Vargo and Associate Professor Sarbjit Johal.
- John Vargo, Jonathan Davidson, Sarbjit Johal,
- 10:24pm 26th February 2016
- People in Disasters, conference, plenary, panel discussion, Associate Professor John Vargo, Associate Professor Sarbjit Johal, Professor Jonathan Davidson, Health and Wellbeing