Showing 1 - 2 of 2 results.
- You Know the Drill
- Workers operate a drilling rig, sampling soil as part of EQC's geotechnical investigation of TC3 land. The photographer comments, "The work of getting 'soil' samples from all the areas marked as green/blue zones in Christchurch. These areas may be susceptible to liquefaction if a major earthquake occurs. The soil samples were a failure as all they found was sand".
- Steven Taylor
- 9:21pm 17th April 2012
- 22 February 2011, liquefaction, silt, sand, EQC, geotechnical, investigation, TC3, blue green land, pro-drill, worksite, drilling, sample, sampling, soil, sign, check, checking
- The Bexley Community Garage Sales
- Balloons and a sign advertising a garage sale hang from a fence. The photographer comments, "Today, 23/7/2011 the Bexley community in Christchurch got together and held a Bexley wide garage sale. You could pick up a map of the garage sales in Arncliffe St, which meant that people could find all the garage sales even if they were on the back sections. People got together with close neighbours to hold joint Garage Sales. In the area where the garage sales were held all the homes have been 'written off' by the government, as the land on which they sit is too damaged by the Christchurch earthquakes to repair. In places it looked more like a ships graveyard with the hulls of the houses sinking lopsidedly into the sand. Unfortunately for nearly everyone in the red zone they cannot rebuild a new home as sections to build on start now around $2,000 and the government is not paying them enough to buy a plot of land and build a new home. The choices for Bexley residents in most cases is to rent, buy a house at least a few years old or move to Australia to start again. I was told that up to 80% could be off to Oz".
- Steven Taylor
- garage sale, balloons, sell, sign, Bexley, silt, liquefaction, Red Zone, sinking