Showing 21 - 23 of 23 results.
- Stone By Precious Stone
- A protest sign painted on a fence shows an image of the cathedral spire and the words "Save + restore, stone by precious stone!" The photographer comments, "The Christchurch Cathedral got very badly damaged in the earthquake. It was being demolished down to a safe level before a major protest managed to stop it going too far. There is still an ongoing debate on what to do with the Cathedral. In the meantime a cardboard cathedral made out of a steel framework and massive toilet roll tubes is being constructed close by. This is to the right of the protest about the closure of Christchurch schools".
- Steven Taylor
- 10:22pm 23rd November 2012
- CBD, Cathedral, steeple, save, restore, damage, collapsed, mural, protest, fence, Salisbury Street
- The Housing Slump
- Two images of a house, taken before and after the earthquakes. In the after photograph the chimneys are gone, a column supporting the car port has partly collapsed, windows are broken, and the previously neat lawn and driveway are overgrown. The photographer comments, "This was a house that I was selling up to the September 2010 earthquake in Christchurch. It was on Avonside Drive, which was an area that has been badly hit in every earthquake that has hit the area. In the September quake parts of the house moved in different directions and one of the upstairs doors had to be smashed open to release one of the sons from his bedroom. This occurred in the dark with numerous aftershocks shaking the house. Liquefaction poured up through the floor and flowed down the drive. Everyone got out OK, but soon after the house was red stickered meaning it was dangerous to enter. The house was looted many times even though there was constant police patrols. When the most violent earthquake occurred on 22 February 2012 both the tall heavy chimneys came crashing through into the living areas. Subsequent earthquakes and aftershocks have caused one of the brick fence pillars to fall and the front garage pillar to break up and twist. The family's troubles did not end there. They moved into the home of one of their parents and this mansion of a home was so badly affected by the February earthquake that no one could enter to collect any of their or their parents' belongings. They now own a new home, which they are fond of except when the ground shakes yet again. There has been to date 10,712 earthquakes and aftershocks since 4 September 2010".
- Steven Taylor
- 11:28am 8th October 2011
- RedZoneApp, Avonside Drive, Wainoni, Avondale, collapse, collapsed, brick, broken, shaken, damaged, chimney, fallen, pillar, 4 September 2010, overgrown, 22 February 2011